Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Walking Translator

It's occurred to us lately that soon LS will be teaching us Portuguese back. At least two times recently, once to each of us, she reminded us what the Portuguese word for something is.

This could work out as a great tool! With her better recall, we just need to remember a word long enough to tell her a couple times. Then later, when *we* can't remember it, she'll be there to help us out! Yay! Our very own walking pocket translator.

Today it happened with Papai when we were looking at a book together. This book had a picture of a pail with a shovel next to it. So I'm going through the book with her mostly in Portuguese, and on this page I point to the pail: "balde". Then I point to the shovel and say: "shovel". A couple seconds later, LS pipes up with "pá" (pronounced "pah"). Admittedly, her pronunciation was a bit off, and I didn't quite get it at first. But after she said it a couple more times, I realized - she's telling me the translation. Wonderful!

She's actually gotten quite good at translating between the languages - providing words in both. One of her bedtime books mentions several animals and when Mamãe reads it in English, LS pipes in each time one is mentioned and gives the Portuguese translation.

The only time this language stuff is tricky is when you can't quite make out what she is saying. It could be Portuguese, it could be English, or it could be "practice". But, it's worth it.

Last week while eating dinner I asked LS: "Como é que se chama a maçã in English?" - which is "What do you call an apple in English?". After a few pensive moments she responds "Appel" (I spell it this way, because it is closer to how she says it!).

Next I ask her: "What do you call an apple em Português?" Another few pensive moments. Maybe she's thinking "he can't really be asking me that can he?". And then: "maçã!" (pronounced something like: muh-sanh)

Sim, muito bem querida!

No comments:

Post a Comment