Monday, September 19, 2011

Learning To Say It Better

Yesterday LS and I went to the pool for the first time in a while. She did a good job, doing a few laps back and forth (she wears a "bubble" and is mostly upright with her face out of the water), pausing at the deep end each time to watch the kids at diving practice. While we were swimming she said: "I'm so happy to be at the pool!".

On the way home there's a particular stretch of road when we're almost home where LS usually asks about where Mamãe is, and whether she's at the studio or not (for which in Portuguese we use the word (taken from French) "atalier").

Usually when I saw "atalier" (ah-tah-lee-ay) I say it pretty quickly and the first "a" drops out. LS has remarked before about how Papai says "talier" while she and Mamãe say "atalier".

So yesterday when LS asked and I responded I was pretty deliberate about not dropping the first "a". Upon hearing this, LS said (in English): "Papai, you're learning to say it better!"

It's true, and I have a good teacher.

2 comments:

  1. A further refinement: it's "atelier", despite it almost sounding "atalier". "te" like in "televisão". :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I never stop having to learn! :-)

    ReplyDelete