Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Silence is Golden

It was Mamãe's idea that this video would be enhanced by leaving out the sound, and I have to agree.

I've always felt that silent family movies produced a special nostalgia. Heck, this video is barely 3 days old and I feel nostalgic watching it.

It always seems to me that those people in the movie are trying to communicate out to the future to me, but they can't. I think the missing audio really produces a particular feeling.

We can't communicate with those people from the past, and they can't communicate with us. Not having the audio prevents us from pretending otherwise.

It makes us not quite able to be in that moment. It's more like getting a secret glimpse that feels all the more fleeting.

I think it also forces us to concentrate on the visual aspect more. With the need for one of the senses removed, maybe the others are heightened slightly.

I'm sure experts of film know what is really going on here. Or maybe it's just my overactive imagination.

At any rate, this was LS this past Easter Sunday. She had a nice dress on that was a gift from her Tia Maria this past August. It was taken in the back yard at Avó and Grandpa's house.

Three minutes of beautiful silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment